Monday, June 16, 2008

Just enjoy him

As I've written here before, H's health has been up and down many times over the past few years. When he is very sick, the obvious focus is to get him well again. And when he is well, we both wonder how long until he gets sick again and we both try to recover from the last time he was sick.

When he became so sick a few years ago, when I started this blog, we all thought it was the end, but it wasn't. And last year, we thought so too. And so on, dating back some 10 years or so.

So, I was talking with my shrink about what do I do now that he is getting better again? How do you go from a crisis to it's OK again…how should I feel? H and I are both concerned that his VL will only stay low for awhile and then start to rise again…it's happened every time.

So, how do you go forward, knowing that this will likely happen again?

My shrink laughs and says, "What else can you do but love him and enjoy him? None of us knows when we're leaving this place. All we can do is love those we love and enjoy what time we have with them."

I remember when one of our pets was very sick with cancer. Now, the pet wasn't in pain (at least the vet didn't think so), so he sent us all home and told H and me: "Spend what time you can with him, just enjoy (your pet) while he is here with you. It will be time soon enough."

Focus on the moment and enjoy them while they're here. What else can we do?

No comments: