Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Uresolved

When H and I have had issues to deal with and we've gotten angry, usually there is some resolution to that tension. Someone takes responsibility, we agree to do something different, or one or both of us just says, "Yup, you're right." And mostly, something changes.

But now, instead of being resolved, well…it doesn't .

Recently, H got up from a nap after not having eaten all day…it was late, 9pm. I had just worked an 11 hour day and was making dinner: very tasty Reuben sandwiches with cole slaw and homemade baked potato chips. (!)

He was very upset about "sandwiches again for dinner" and "we've been having a lot of sandwiches." Uhhh, no…a few times in the past month. The night before I made a fabulous dinner, but he couldn't remember what we ate. Most of our meals are homemade meals.

So, tense words ensue and what we said doesn't matter. Unfortunately, H can't deal with me when I get angry anymore…. And he can't acknowledge the issue because he's so puzzled or he doesn't understand what the big deal is, so my anger doesn't abate.

There are many, many other examples like this, but more and more it involves a lack of resolution about the issue. Not just for me, but for us. We're not working on the issue together.

I need to get to the point where unresolved issues don't matter to me.

Honestly, I don't see how I can do that....

No comments: