Monday, March 23, 2009

H's support

Over the past week or so, I've been consciously reducing the amount that I drink in prep for stopping entirely. Now, I know that I have to stop, but I'm hoping to manage down the withdrawal just a bit.

A week from tomorrow I start my evening sessions and no later than that day, I have to stop drinking.

So, I've cut down from 8+/day to 6 to 4, etc. over the past week. This has been surprisingly hard. And now I get cravings by 10am every day, earlier than my usual, "It's 3 o'clock…where's my beer?"

H has been helping me stay within my limits. We count out how many I get and whatever is extra gets hidden. And I don't start drinking until 5pm.

Now, I'm not keen on putting H in the role of policeman, but it's something he can do to help for the next week or two and he is more than willing to do so. And I both appreciate and need the support right now.

In fact, we discussed H going to AZ to visit his sister during this time. His sister suggested it in fact…wanting to be helpful and supportive.

I said, "No because I don't know that I trust myself to not drink and so I could really use your support.

H said, "I don't trust you to not drink either."

And while I've been whining here about H not being there for me, this is one area where he can be. And for that I am very grateful.

1 comment:

Greg said...

It sounds healthy for both of you that H is able to give something back to you during this time. I hope it goes well and that you can accept him being the policeman.